Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Hike #44: Broad Hill Road Area of McLean Game Refuge - Granby, CT

Date Hiked: Monday, October 3, 2016
Estimated distance: 4.93 miles
Weather: 70°F, mostly cloudy
Resources: McLean Game Refuge Trail Map, Hike #18
Highlights of the trip:  quiet woods
Progress toward 2016 hiking goals:  44/52 hikes; 166.20/250 miles; 31.37/25 miles on Tunxis Trail



I need to get some miles done if I want to make my goal of 250 miles for the year.  That means that I am going to have to do some hiking during the week.  I was trying to think of a place that I could go that would be a little different, but would not take me too far from home.  I decided I should revisit the Broad Hill area of the McLean Game Refuge.  This had been an interesting hike when I did it back in April.



My plan today was to explore a little further into the refuge on the Eddy Loop.  I parked at the gates, where Broad Hill Road turns to gravel, and walked up to Carpenter Falls.  I took a left on to the Weed Hill Trail and followed it until I got to the white-blazed Eddy Loop Trail. I decided to go out about 2.5 miles and then turn around (it was about 2.4 when I actually turned around).






Top of Carpenter Falls.

Looking south on Weed Hill Trail.

There are a lot of old stone walls here.


I was starting to wonder if I had missed the turn-off for the Eddy Loop Trail.  Then I cam across a sign post.  As I faced the post, the trail I wanted was behind me.  The rest of the trail continued in the same direction I had been going and would have taken me out on to Firetown Road.  I think to actually complete the Eddy Loop of 3.2 miles, you have a bit of walking on Firetown.


I was not going down to the road.  I turned on to the white-blazed trail.  After a short way, it seemed like I was going in the wrong direction.  I felt like I was doubling back the way I had come.  But, it is just the way the trail goes and it soon turned again to go the way I expected.  Off to my left, I could see an area that could possibly have a little waterfall when there is enough water, and before long, I crossed that stream higher up.  I crossed another stream just before I turned around.

I climbed to the top of this little ledge to turn around.

Some kind of coral fungus.

When I got back to Carpenter Falls, I climbed down below the falls to take a look.  There was not a lot to see.  If you look at the pictures I took on my hike here in April, you will see what I mean.



There were no beautiful vistas or rushing waterfalls, but I absolutely loved this hike.  I like to imagine what it must have looked like when people actually lived up here.  I think about what secrets these woods hold - old cellar holes, orchards, etc.

On future hikes, I'd like to leave a car over on the corner of Simsbury Road and Barndoor Hills Road and hike all the way through on the Eddy Loop and Firetown Trails.  I'd also like to explore where I left off in April on the Pine Cone Trail and see if I could hike all the way to Enders Falls.  There is a lot of exploring to do in this area.







No comments:

Post a Comment