Sunday, January 3, 2016

2016 Hiking Goals

A new year and time for a fresh start.

1.  Take 52 hikes.  
I recently came across a website called 52 Hike Challenge.  I like the idea, but I don't use social media and that seems to be a big part of how it works.  Instead, I will just use the idea of challenging myself to complete 52 hikes.

2.  Hike for 250 miles.
In 2015, another CT hiker set a goal of 500 miles for 2015 and he reached his goal!  It is pretty inspiring, but if I think 52 hikes is a reasonable number of hikes for the year, then I would have to hike almost 10 miles/hike to reach his goal and I think that is not likely.  I think 5 miles/hike is more reasonable for me which comes out to 260 miles.  I made it 250 just because it seems a "rounder" number.  We'll see how this year goes, and I will take it into account when determining next year's goal.

How will I keep track?  Although I have used other apps, they each had different problems.  I have started using MapMyHike.  It has a nice dashboard that keeps track of total miles and it also draws a map of the hike.

3.  Hike at least 25 miles of the Tunxis Trail
This really shouldn't be too hard, but I would prefer to have someone to hike with or at least have someone willing to help with transportation.  I'd like to leave my car at the end of a section and only have to hike in one direction.

4.  Visit Bash Bish Falls (Massachusetts)
I'm planning this one for the spring when the flow will be highest (assuming we get snow).

  5.  Hike Mount Monadnock (New Hampshire)
I'd like to do this in September or October.  That will give me time to train and it's a nice time of year to see the autumn colors.

6.  Visit a "new-to-me" state park or forest in Massachusetts (Bash Bish does not count).

7.  Hike on the Appalachian Trail
I'm thinking of hiking along the Housatonic River.

No comments:

Post a Comment