Sunday, January 10, 2016

Hike #3: McLean Game Refuge - Granby, CT

Date Hiked:  Saturday, January 9, 2016
Estimated distance round-trip: 4.01 miles
Weather: 40°F, cloudy
Resources:  McLean Game Refuge, Refuge Map
Highlights of the trip: ice formations
Progress toward 2016 hiking goals:  3/52 hikes; 8.8/250 miles

We have much needed rain today, so I'm glad I got out for awhile yesterday.  I did a counter-clockwise loop at McLean Game Refuge starting at the entrance on Canton Road.  There is room for a few cars there along the side of the road.


The ice formations I found along Bissell Brook were pretty interesting.  The ones running along the logs were like the petals on a flower or, maybe more appropriately, like giant snowflakes.


It probably doesn't show very well in the picture below, but the little bubbles under the ice were beautiful, like little jewels.


Over at Kettle Pond, the lack rain is evident. The place I stood to take the next two pictures would normally be under water.  In the spring, I like to come to Kettle Pond to look for newts and wood frogs.  Normally, I stand at the base of the large tree you see.  One more step and I would be in the water.  Not now.



In this next picture, I turned around and took a picture of what is left of the pond.  The ground was squishy here and I could hear ice breaking under my feet as I walked.



After Kettle Pond, I went up and around a field and down the hill to Spring Pond.  I assume that the name is suggestive of the water source, so this pond was at a normal level.  The run-off goes to Bissell Brook.

The picture doesn't do it justice, but the view as you come down the hill from the field is so pretty.  Normally the water has a greenish tint that is just amazing.  Today, with a thin coat of ice on the pond, it had a different color, but still quite stunning.


I love the little log cabin under the tall pines.




I'm glad I got out on this relatively warm day, but I need to start doing more miles if I am going to reach my goal of 250 miles for the year.




1 comment: