Sunday, January 17, 2016

Hike #4: Holcomb Farm Western Trails - Granby, CT

Date Hiked:  Sunday, January 17, 2016
Estimated distance round-trip: 3.45 miles
Weather: 33°F, cloudy
Resources:  Holcomb Farm, Trail Map
Highlights of the trip: streams
Progress toward 2016 hiking goals:  4/52 hikes; 12.25/250 miles


We got a little snow the other day, but it rained yesterday and the trails were completely clear.  






Trail Map of Holcomb Farm's western trails

I decided to hike the trails on the western side of Holcomb Farm.  After crossing the CSA field and the bridge over the West Branch of Salmon Brook, I followed the yellow trail to the north.  Just before the staircase, I took a white blazed trail over to the brook.  After yesterday's rain, the water is running pretty well.  There is a LOT of debris along the banks.  Some are very large trees.  Just shows the power of the water when it floods.




I took the white trail up to the blue trail which went north for a little while before heading south.  I followed this to the green trail which I took north again and to the purple trail which took me back south (my zigzag).

Overlook from the purple trail.  Can see the fields on the east side of the farm through the trees.
At the southern end of the trail system, the Holcomb Farm Property abuts the McLean Game Refuge.  Beach Brook is running down the hill, and I went off the trail a bit to take a look at it.

Beach Brook
I returned to the trail and walked through the area where the kids from Two Coyotes have built some wigwams.


I continued across the bridge on the yellow trail.  I loved the ice hanging from the leaves over the brook.


Given the rain yesterday, I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to traverse the brook to stay on the yellow trail, but I decided to take a look.  There is no bridge at the second crossing, just a rope to hold on to to help you balance as you pick your way over the rocks.  Maybe (unlikely) I could have crossed the first part, but definitely not the second part where there is no rope.


I turned around and headed back the other way on the yellow trail.  I climbed to another little overlook with benches around a fire pit, and north to the stairs that took me back down to the bridge I crossed when I started the hike.  Back across the CSA field and to the farm.



I'm happy with the progress I am making toward my goal of 52 hikes in 2016.  I've been lucky with the weather.  I am a little worried about the mileage goal.  I need to be averaging 5 miles per hike and I am usually at least a mile under.  I'll have to plan some longer hikes as I go forward.



2 comments:

  1. All that work and no calories burned?

    The picture of the brook with the rope crossing reminded me so much of the woods next to our house where I loved to walk in every season of the year. (This was before we moved to Pennsylvania.) In the summer it was cool and filled with animal activity; in autumn beautiful, smelling of fallen leaves, earth, and sometimes just a hint of smoke; in the winter streaked with animal tracks, and silent as only woods-in-snow can be. In springtime, the woods were bursting with new life and gloriously wet with the sound of melting snow. One of my favorite memories is of hiking there with my father, icy water pouring into my boots. Clearly childhood puts a different spin on events!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calories burned only works if you put in your weight! Ha! Not happening. I'm mostly concerned with distance for my hiking goals for this year.

      Delete