Saturday, January 23, 2016

Hike #5: Holcomb Farm Full Moon Hike - Granby, CT


Date Hiked:  Friday, January 22, 2016
Estimated distance round-trip: 1.16 miles
Weather: 27°F, cloudy
Resources:  Holcomb Farm, Trail Map
Highlights of the trip: night hike
Progress toward 2016 hiking goals:  5/52 hikes; 13.41/250 miles



Last year at this time, I went on a full moon snowshoe hike at the farm.  There is no snow for snowshoeing this year, although there is a big storm working its way up the coast this weekend.

The hike was billed as a full moon hike to look for owls.  About 60 people had signed up.  We crossed Simsbury Road to the east side of the farm and climbed to the fields at the top of the hill.  We split into several groups and went in different directions.  I was in a small group with a young family.  The kids were good and whenever we stopped to listen for owls, they kept quiet.

We didn't have much luck with the owls, but I enjoyed being out hiking in the dark.  I'm hoping that they'll schedule another full moon hike and maybe I'll see if a couple friends will join me.

We didn't hike much more than a mile, but I'm counting it toward my goal since it was a hike that was a little different than the norm.

No comments:

Post a Comment