Monday, March 6, 2017

2017 Hike #8: Holcomb Farm - West Granby, CT

Date Hiked: Tuesday, February 21, 2017
Estimated distance:  2.82 miles
Weather: 44°F, overcast
Resources: Holcomb Farm, Trail Map
Highlights of the trip:  view of stream
Progress toward 2017 Outdoor Goals:  8/52 hikes; 23.22/250 miles hiked





My hiking partner had a Tuesday off, so we decided to do a local hike.  We headed over to Holcomb Farm in West Granby and hiked the trails on the west side of the farm.  I wasn't sure what we would find for trail conditions, but I had my Microspikes with me just in case.




Before we got too far, I decided to put the spikes on.  There were icy patches near the barns.  We had to pass through the gates to cross the field, and there was only patchy snow here.  In the woods, the snow was very soft and the spikes ended up accumulating snow, so off they came.

I wanted to zigzag our way to the top and back down again to get more miles, but I didn't have a trail map with me.  I ended up zigging instead of zagging, so our hike was a little shorter than intended.  Still a pretty good workout because of the soft snow.  It was just nice to get outside.

We went down as far as the bridge over Beach Brook and turned back because I was pretty sure we would not be able to cross the brook farther down.



 A nice hike.  It can be made longer by connecting to the dirt Broad Hill Road and hiking in the McLean Game Refuge or by doing the trails on the east side of the farm.  (The trails on the east side can get very muddy in the spring).


No comments:

Post a Comment