Monday, April 18, 2016

Hike #22: People's State Forest - Barkhamsted, CT

Date Hiked:  Saturday, April 16, 2016
Estimated distance round-trip: 6.17 miles
Weather: 60°F, bright, sunny day
Resources: American Legion and People's State Forest, Trail Map
Highlights of the trip: beautiful day, views of river and Riverton
Progress toward 2016 hiking goals:  22/52 hikes; 80.63/250 miles; 10.1/25 miles on Tunxis Trail





I parked in the main parking lot at the Matthies Grove.  There was no one manning the booth to collect fees this early in the year (but the restrooms were open).

I crossed the street and took the trail up to the Stone Museum (closed and boarded up) and turned left to follow the Robert Ross trail to the overlooks.  One of the overlooks listed on the map is the Gothic Window Overlook.  There may have been an overlook there at one time, but the trees have grown up.  It is fairly young growth, so maybe it gets cleared out periodically. 

Shortly after I came to a large outcropping of rock looming above me.  It looked like other people may have tried climbing to the top, but I decided not to.  I knew there were good lookouts ahead that were free of trees.

Large outcropping shortly after Gothic Window Lookout.

Having done some climbing already, I was dismayed to see yet another descent.  I know I still have to climb to the overlooks, so I don't want to go down!


No.  I don't want to go down!

I did go a few feet down the Falls Cutoff Trail to take some pictures, though.  Not a whole lot of water, but still pretty.

Stream at Falls Cutoff.

I climbed to the first really good overlook.  Funny how the overlooks with the best views don't have names, but the one with no view does. (Actually looking at the trail description, they may be the Chaugham Lookouts).  When I got to the overlook there was a group of hikers already there.  They had taken a water break and were loading up full packs.  I asked them if they were training and it turns out they were Boy Scouts training for their trip to Philmont.  The views here were spectacular.  You could see the river down below and the mountains in the distance. 


Looking southeast at West Branch of Farmington River.

I left the Robert Ross Trail and took the Jessie Gerard Trail to the next overlook and came to another group of Boy Scouts. At this overlook, you can see the town of Riverton to the north.


Riverton
Continuing on the Jessie Gerard Trail I passed the pair of glacial erratics (Veeder Boulders) and came out on Greenwoods Road near the Big Spring camping area (outhouse available).


I walked down Greenwoods Road a little bit until I came to the Charles Pack Trail on the left.  I followed this down to Beaver Brook Road crossing a pretty stream with moss covered rocks.

Stream on Charles Pack Trail.
My plan had been to continue on the Charles Pack Trail, following it all the way down to the start, but I was starting to feel like I wanted to head back.  I ended up taking Beaver Brook Road to Greenwoods and picking up the Robert Ross Trail near the end to finish my hike.  The difference in distance between taking the trail and the road was probably not significant, but I was able to pick up my pace on the road.

This was an excellent hike and even though I took the road back, I was happy to have logged over 6 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment