Sunday, April 17, 2016

Hike #21: McLean Game Refuge - Granby, CT

Date Hiked:  Friday, April 15, 2016
Estimated distance round-trip: 4.67 miles
Weather: 55°F, bright, sunny day
Resources: McLean Game Refuge Trail Map
Highlights of the trip: beautiful day, pond
Progress toward 2016 hiking goals:  21/52 hikes; 74.46/250 miles; 10.1/25 miles on Tunxis Trail

Another gorgeous day that had to be taken advantage of.  I went to the game refuge again, going in at the Canton Road entrance.  I walked along the woods road between Spring Pond and Trout Pond and then turned onto another road and took the North Trail over to the Blue Loop.


The Blue Loop climbs to the top of a hill that, right now without the leaves, allows you to see over to the Barndoor Hills.

View to Barndoor Hills.
The Blue Loop is joined first by the Orange Loop and then by the Red Loop trails and travels along the brook that runs between the game refuge and Salmon Brook Park.  There is a side trail that takes you into the park near the pond.

Salmon Brook
The three loop trails come out near Trout Pond in the refuge.  As I walked along the edge of the pond, I could see this ropy material in the water.  It looked kind of like frog eggs, but not what I am used to seeing.  I guess it could be frog eggs, but at a different stage than what I am used to seeing.  I would expect it to be more gelatinous with small black dots in it.  That is not how this appeared.

Frog eggs?  I have no idea.




Cabin at Trout Pond.
I finished the walk by following the woods road back toward Spring Pond and then up to Canton Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment