Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Barkhamstead: Peoples SF - Elliot Bronson & Walt Landgraf Trails

Date Hiked:  Sunday, September 15, 2013
Estimated distance round-trip:  3.8 miles
Weather:  71°F, sunny
Resources:  American Legion and Peoples State Forests, CTMuseumQuest
Highlights of the trip:  Indian Caves

I had never hiked the Elliot Bronson or Walt Landgraf trails, so today was the day.  I parked off Greenwoods Road and hiked over the top of Ragged Mountain to the Walt Landgraf trail.  There are really no views along the Elliot Bronson trail, so it is not a hike I will likely make again, but I am glad I did it.  The Walt Landgraf Trail contains the Indian Caves.  I only wish Walt, former curator of the Stone Museum (now called the Peoples State Forest Nature Museum), could have been there to tell me all about them.  I really regret never attending one of his talks.

Indian caves.

One of several swampy areas near the top of Ragged Mountain.

I had hoped to visit the Stone Museum upon finishing the hike, but I was already past the time I had told my family I would return.  It's on the list for another day.



No comments:

Post a Comment