Sunday, January 13, 2019

McLean Game Refuge - Granby, CT

Date Hiked: Wednesday, January 2, 2019
Estimated distance:  3.53 miles
Weather: 30°F, cloudy
Resources: McLean Game Refuge
Highlights of the trip:  winter colors


Another nice day, but 20 degrees cooler than New Year's Day.  Today, I decided to hike in McLean Game Refuge starting at the parking area on Barndoor Hills Road.  From there, I walked on the woods road to Trout Pond and then took the blue loop back to the woods road. 

Trout Pomd


Winter colors

Along the blue loop


A view of the Barndoor Hills


Frost heaves

A short distance on the same woods road I had taken on the way in, led me to the green Werbitzkas Loop.  The trail took me down to a field, where on other occasions I have seen deer.  Not today.



The trail eventually comes out along the West Branch of the Salmon Brook.  There had been a lot of rain in the last few days and the brook was quite high, but based upon how the grasses were matted down all in one direction, it seems the water had been even higher.



A nice hike and it was great to get outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment