Saturday, January 14, 2017

2017 Hike #3: McLean Game Refuge - Granby, CT

Date Hiked: Sunday, January 8, 2017
Estimated distance:  2.52 miles
Weather: 20°F, overcast
Resources: McLean Game Refuge, Trail Map
Highlights of the trip:  snow still on the trees
Progress toward 2017 Outdoor Goals:  3/52 hikes; 11.07/250 miles hiked


Let's get the unpleasantness out of the way first. 

I was only a little way into my hike - enjoying the quiet, snowy woods - when I was jarred by the sight of some miscreant's vandalism.   I really don't understand people like this.  It's all me, me, me.  Idiots.



Okay, back to more pleasant things.

I had hoped to get out with my hiking partner this weekend, but with the snow forecast for Saturday, we decided not to venture out.  I don't mind driving in the snow...as long as everyone else stays off the road!  I had plans on Sunday afternoon, but decided to do a short loop in the game refuge while the snow was still clinging to the trees.




My husband suggested bringing the MICROspikes and I was glad I did.  It had only snowed a couple of inches and it was very light and fluffy.  Underneath it was still all ice.


Brook just before Spring Pond.



Spring Pond.

 I noticed some tracks winding their way across the frozen pond.  I went over to investigate because I didn't think the ice was that thick.  It was thick enough to hold a deer, apparently.


Deer tracks.

 The prettiest sight was the snow still on the branches of this little pine plantation.


I hiked up the hill and took a look across the field over to one of the Barndoor Hills.  Then I continued on the trail through the woods around the field.



I met a couple out cross-country skiing who, when I asked, said the conditions weren't very good.  With the ice underneath it was hard to use their poles to push off and the few inches of light snow did not provide enough cover when they went over roots or branches.



 I didn't go that far, but I enjoyed getting out and seeing the scenery in the fresh snow.  I know people don't want to hear it, but I'd love to get a chance to do some snowshoeing this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment