Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Hike #34: Burr Pond - Torrington, CT

Date Hiked: Saturday, June 25, 2016
Estimated distance: 2.96 miles
Weather: 75°F, sunny
Resources:  Burr Pond State Park, Trail Map
Highlights of the trip:  view from peninsula, mountain laurel
Progress toward 2016 hiking goals:  34/52 hikes; 132.28/250 miles; 31.37/25 miles on Tunxis Trail



I was looking for a hike I hadn't done in awhile, so I chose Burr Pond.  Looking back on other blog posts, I can't believe the last time I was out here was 2013, and that was to kayak.

The mountain laurel were in full bloom.

More mountain laurel.
I parked at the boat launch and walked counter-clockwise around the pond on the Walcott Trail.  There were a few cars in the parking lot and people out in small aluminum boats doing some fishing.  I also saw some people in kayaks.  It was the perfect day to be out on the water.

Black "dot" in the water in the middle of the picture is a snapping turtle.

Glacial erratic.

I hadn't printed off the map (because how hard can it be to walk around a pond, right?), so I was a little confused by some of the other trails.  There is a blue and white blazed trail that goes off just before you get to the glacial erratic.  This trail loops back around to the Walcott Trail and also connects to the John Muir Trail which takes you over to Sunny Brook State Park. 

At the glacial erratic there is a blue and yellow trail that goes off to a point of rock.  I think it just ends here, but I started to wonder if it led to the peninsula.  I knew the trail to the peninsula was also blue and yellow, but the trail here seemed to be very steep and I am not sure it was "sanctioned".  I don't remember taking this steep trail the last time I was here.  I decided to go back to the main trail and continued until I found the trail to the peninsula.

It is definitely worth taking the trail down to the peninsula.  It offers wonderful views of the pond and some of the little islands that are scattered about.

Heading out to the peninsula.



From the end of the peninsula, you can see across to the beach at Burr Pond State Park.  I could hear the kids playing in the water.  Unfortunately, the day after I was here, a little boy drowned.

Swamp azalea.


In addition to the swimming area, the state park has picnic areas and they even rent kayaks.

Kayaker headed into the inlet near the picnic area.
I passed the dam and saw a group of people fishing.  The water here was low enough you could have walked across the dam, but I kept going and took the bridge into the picnic area of the state park.  I crossed the driveway and continued around the pond to the boat launch parking area.  There were a few more cars in the parking lot and some guys were launching a boat that I thought seemed to have a motor that was a little large and unwise for this pond.  It is pretty obvious that there are rocks all over the place, so I assume they knew what they were doing.


This was a relatively short, but very nice hike.  If you go, be prepared for some muddy areas even if it hasn't rained for awhile.  I also recommend kayaking at Burr Pond.  It is pretty quiet and, other than the state park, there is no development.  It is especially pretty on those sunny autumn days where you can view the foliage from the water.






No comments:

Post a Comment