Saturday, October 20, 2012

Granby - McLean Game Refuge

Beautiful fall days should not go to waste, so once my chauffeuring duties were over for the day, I took myself over to the McLean Game Refuge for a little hike.  In addition to the gorgeous array of fall foliage, it also ended up being a good day for finding interesting fungi.

Bissell Brook.

White Coral mushroom?
The next three pictures I have all labeled as Angel's Wing fungi, but I am not sure if the first picture is the same as the other two.  The second two pictures are the same mushroom taken from two different views.  Isn't it beautiful?

Angel's Wing?

Angel Wing?


When I got to Kettle Pond, I took advantage of the fact that there is hardly any water.  I like walking around to vantage points I normally can't get to.  The only drawback was that my socks and hiking shoes were completely covered with beggar-ticks (I think from Bidens frondosa, but I'm not sure).

Kettle Pond.
After leaving the pond, I walked up the hill to the field where I sat on a log and removed as many of the beggar-ticks as possible.  The colors around the field were pretty nice.


I walked through the woods around the field and then down the hill to Spring Pond.  Along the way, I found another fungus that I think is Orange Jelly.  I am still amazed at the variety of colors produced by fungi.

Orange Jelly?

Spring Pond.
A perfect fall day.

No comments:

Post a Comment