Sunday, October 21, 2012

Granby - McLean & The Eastern Barndoor Hill

I had such an enjoyable hike in the Game Refuge yesterday, I decided to repeat it today.  This time I decided to hike up to the top of the eastern Barndoor Hill for views of the foliage.  It was another great day - sunny and cool, but not cold.

This time I hiked from Canton Road, down past Spring Pond, up to the field and down to Kettle Pond before turning on to the woods road that leads to the peak.

Spring Pond.
Along the way, I found some puffballs and I was taken back to my childhood.  I can remember running around the woods with the other kids from the neighborhood and using puffballs as "bombs".  Today, I had to give them a squeeze to see the "smoke" blow out.

Pear-shaped? or Gem-studded? puffballs.

I just love this old tree.

Marginal Woodfern?


When I reached the peak, I went out on to one of the rocks that allows you to see quite a way to the north.  It was magnificent.  Unfortunately, my pictures don't do it justice.

View to the north from the Barndoor Hill lookout.
One thing I hadn't realized until recently is that if you keep walking south along the ridge, you will come to another lookout that is almost directly across from the other Barndoor Hill.

Looking across at the western Barndoor Hill.
After spending a few minutes checking out the views, I took my time wandering back to the trail that would take me down.  I don't have any pictures of the area at the peak, but I just love it.  There is a different feel here than in the rest of the Refuge.  There are a lot of cedar trees and exposed rock.  There is a more open feel.  Just very peaceful and a great place to enjoy a nice fall day.

No comments:

Post a Comment