Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Jewelweed is a Gem of a Plant

On a hike earlier this year, we came across a pretty orange wildflower that someone identified as jewelweed.  Not long after, we saw it on another hike and I couldn't remember the name.  How frustrating!

What can I do that will help me remember my plant and animal identifications?  I have found that I need to observe, do some research, and observe some more.  When I start making connections, I find it easier to remember a particular plant or animal.

Jewelweed is the perfect example.  The first time someone identified it for me, the name didn't stick.  After I saw it for the second time, I got on-line and looked up some information.  It turns out jewelweed can be used to treat poison ivy and other rashes.  Well, that is interesting (and potentially useful)!  In fact, jewelweed can often be found near poison ivy, and as we found out on another hike, it may also grow near stinging nettle.

Jewelweed or touch-me-not (Impatiens capensis)

Now that I have been introduced to jewelweed, I see it everywhere.  I have seen it on numerous hikes and along the edge of the river when I was kayaking.

On our most recent hike, we found more jewelweed and I was able to check out some information I had read about the leaves.  I had read that if you put jewelweed leaves in water, the underside takes on a shiny metallic look.  Some would say like silver, I think of mercury.  It was amazing!  I don't think my picture does it justice, so you'll have to try it yourself.



Other information about jewelweed that I found interesting:

  • Jewelweed is also called touch-me-not because the seed pods explode when you touch them and can project the seeds up to five feet away.  The seed pods curl up like a spring after releasing the seeds.
  • Even after being submerged, the leaves of the jewelweed will remain dry.  Microscopic hairs on the leaf trap a layer of air that prevent the leaf from getting wet.
  • I have heard at least three reasons for the name jewelweed:  the metalic look of the leaves underwater, the beading up of water on the leaves is jewel-like, and my favorite, the dark green to almost black seeds are like little jewels.
  • Jewelweed is a favorite of hummingbirds and is an important food source because it blooms into the fall when the hummingbirds prepare to migrate.
  • Jewelweed is an annual and grows from seeds not from rootstalks.  In addition to the pretty orange flower that attracts insects and hummingbirds for pollination, there is also a second, green flower that remains closed and self-pollinates.  This means the plant has two means of reproducing.

Now that I have looked more closely at the plant, done some research, and found a few interesting facts, jewelweed is a plant I should readily be able to identify.

1 comment:

  1. If I find some jewelweed, I am going to try that with the leaf. Thanks for sharing your entry with me in my jewelweed post.

    ReplyDelete