Tuesday, September 18, 2012

East Hartland - Tunxis Trail

On Saturday, my hiking buddy gave me a call to see if I wanted to join her and her husband on a hike in East Hartland.  The hike was on the Tunxis Trail north of Route 20.  This was a new hike for me and other than the yellow jacket attack, it was a good hike.

We started at the pull off on Route 20 where the blue trail marker is, west of Hurricane Brook Road (on old topo maps).  We climbed to the top of Trillium Hill and then descended to Hurricane Brook.  Somewhere along this section is where my friend and I were stung by yellow jackets.  Fortunately, neither of us are allergic.  Her husband, who was in the lead and escaped unscathed, entered the coordinates in his GPS so that we could be prepared on the return trip.

Hurricane Brook is probably quite impressive when there is water running, but it has been pretty dry lately and most of the water is just in stagnant pools.

Hurricane Brook
We then came upon the Hurricane Brook Shelter.  This shelter apparently was put there for backpackers to use, but I wouldn't suggest it.  There is a dirt floor and the roof has gaping holes.  Someone has made an attempt to patch the roof, but rather haphazardly.  There is a fair amount of trash about including tarps and remnants of the old roof. 

Hurricane Brook Shelter
From the shelter, we left the Tunxis Trail and headed east to a little chasm along one of the branches of the brook.  Again, not much water flowing now.


This last little chasm was our turn-around point.  The trail continues to the Massachusetts border, but we decided to save that for another day.  This was a nice hike and we got a decent workout.  I think if you were just interested in seeing the brook and the shelter, walking in along the gated Hurricane Brook Road would make it easier.

Here is a map I found of the location of the shelter.  More information for other backpack camping can be found at the DEEP's website.

2 comments:

  1. Any news of whether this lean-to has been given any TLC in the last 5 years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know for sure, but in a post I made in early 2016, I noted that it looked like it had a new metal roof. I did not actually walk over and take a look.
      https://granwoodexplores.blogspot.com/2016/03/hike-14-tunxis-trail-hartland-ct.html
      Do you have a particular plan to use it? If it is not too soon, I could try and get out there sometime and have a look, but it probably wouldn't be for at least a month.

      Delete