Saturday, December 30, 2017

Year End Update to 2017 Outdoor Goals

I did not update the blog for the last several months of the year.  I went on another five hikes not included in the blog.  Blame facebook.  It was just easier to post a couple of pictures to facebook than write a blog post.  I am going to try and get back to writing the posts this year because I include more information on the blog.

Hiking

1.  52 hikes.
One hike per week.  I think this is a good goal.  I was able to complete just over the average one hike per week for 2016.  The idea for this goal came from the 52 Hike Challenge.
 
33 hikes - disappointing.  I can blame some of the shortfall on being out of town for some family issues, but that doesn't explain it all.  This year, I eschewed walks in the woods for walks in the neighborhood.  It was more expedient, but I don't count walks in the neighborhood as hikes.


2.  Hike 250 miles.
I was short of this goal in 2016, and I really want to make sure I reach it this year.  I have been happy with MapMyHike and plan on continuing to use it to keep track of my miles in 2017.
 
As with above, disappointing:  115.8 miles

3.  Visit 3 waterfalls one of which has to be Bash Bish Falls (Massachusetts).
Yay, this was a win!  I went to Bash Bish by myself back in May.  Beautiful!

4.  Hike Mount Monadnock (New Hampshire).
Did not happen.  Again.  I have suggested to my hiking partner that we each pick three new-to-us hikes for 2018 and she has picked Mount Monadnock.  Better get training.

5.  Visit two "new-to-me" state parks or forests in Connecticut and one in Massachusetts (Bash Bish does not count).
Sunny Brook State Park in Torrington, CT. Much better than I expected.
Horse Guard State Park in Avon, CT.  Great views for not too much effort.
Sandisfield State Forest in Sandisfield, MA.

6.  Visit two "new-to-me" Trustees of Reservations properties.
Questing Reservation - New Marlborough, MA
Glendale Falls - Middlefield, MA

7.  Visit a National Park Service site.
This idea comes from the 52 Hike Challenge: Adventure Series.  There are no "typical" National Parks in CT, but there are places that fall under the banner of the Park Service.  Two that I have come across in my research for places to hike are Weir Farm National Historic Site and The Last Green Valley.  The Appalachian Trail would count as well, but I reached the goal of doing a hike (albeit a short one) on the AT last year.
Did not happen.

8.  Hike to a body of water.
The trail at Winchester Land Trust's Hurlbut Field took us to Winchester Lake.

9. One group hike.
Multiple hikes with both the Simsbury Land Trust and East Granby Land Trust.

Kayaking

10.  Go kayaking at a "new-to-me" location.
Only got out once, I think, and it was not a new-to-me location.

Biking - Fail.  Did not ride my bike once.

11.  Bike to the northern end of the Columbia Greenway Rail Trail in Westfield.

12.  Bike on another bike trail.
Probably either part of the Harlem Valley Rail Trail in NY or the Ashuwillticook Rail Trail in the Berkshires.  I'd also consider biking in a state park that allowed it.


Other

13.  Read at least 3 books about hiking, nature, or other outdoor pursuits.
I read 42 books this year (lower than average), but only two were about the outdoors:
Lost on The Appalachian Trail by Kyle Rohrig - meh.  I've read better AT books.
Grandma Gatewood's Walk: The Inspiring Story of the Woman Who Saved the Appalachian Trail by Ben Montgomery.  I'm not sure he proved his thesis, but an interesting book.

14.  Make enough progress on my "places to hike" list that I can publish it on my blog.
When trying to decide where to hike, I have to go to multiple sources to find what I am looking for.  I also lose track of ideas of where to hike.  I am working on creating a master list of places to hike by town. 
I started publishing these on the blog and got up to East Hartford.  I will try to add to it in 2018.
 
I am glad I did this exercise of reviewing what I accomplished because I did do more than I thought I did.  Not great, but okay.  As with most resolutions, more got accomplished at the beginning of the year.  Time for another fresh start!
 

3 comments:

  1. I agree - posting pics on FB is so much easier. Alas, my blog has dwindled. I did want to share a map I put together. I'm not sure how long it will be available - it proved to be too popular and exceeded the number of clicks I could have for free, so it's costing $20 per month to keep it up. My hikers are pitching in at this point.

    It has 71 hikes with links to maps, websites, etc:

    http://ctvalleyhikers.blogspot.com/2018/05/comprehensive-map-connecticut-hiking.html

    The link above explains the map. To go directly to the map: http://j.mp/2HR6WhH

    It might help with goal #14. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue,
    It is so funny you left this comment today because I was just thinking that I want to re-start my blogging. There have been a few times recently where I was happy to be able to go back and look at what I did on a particular hike. With the blog, I give more details, plus I can find the hike again when I search. On Facebook I post mostly pictures, plus it seems harder to find previous posts.

    Did you post a different map before that just had the Sky's the Limit places? I thought that was the map I had seen. I can't believe they are charging you because people are using it.

    I think a comprehensive list of hikes in CT would be great and I am trying to do that on the blog, but honestly, a website would be better. I'm not sure I have the skill set for that though.

    I've joined a hiking facebook group called Take a Hike! Farmington Valley. I've only gone on two hikes, but I've enjoyed the people I have hiked with. The administrator had scheduled hikes for the month of May, but she also suggests members post a hike to see if others want to join. I have not done nearly enough hiking this year, so hopefully this will help.

    Well, we'll see. Maybe I'll post the hike we did today.

    Thanks for commenting and happy hiking!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did the Sky's the Limit map also. I didn't put the details in it that I did on the Connecticut Hikes map. Yes, it stinks that they are charging because I put hours and hours - weeks actually - into putting that info together. I might be moving and wanted to entice one of our members to take over our group leadership. I understand why they charge - they have to make a living - but I chose that site that because it was free. I'm sure it's in the fine print and I didn't see it. They freeze it after 100 clicks. I'll keep it up as long as our group covers the cost. Or I'll try to figure out a PayPal button. Ugh.

      I wasn't aware of that Facebook group. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

      Delete