Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Snowshoe Fail

On Tuesday, March 14, our area received about a foot and a half of snow.  Thoughts of spring had to be put aside.

On Friday, I decided to dig out my snowshoes and try a little hike.  I don't think I used my snowshoes at all last year.  I thought that I'd be able to hike the 3/4 of a mile to Carpenter Falls in West Granby along Broad Hill Road.  I was wrong.

The going was tougher than I had anticipated.   I didn't want to wreck the X-Country ski tracks that someone else had made, so I was breaking my own trail.  The snow was still quite fluffy and, with each step, I sank into the snow and then pulled the snow out with my snowshoe. 

I made it about a 1/4 of a mile and decided to call it quits.  If someone else had been with me, maybe I could have motivated myself to go farther, but it just wasn't much fun.  I did enjoy being outside on a nice day - as long as I was standing there motionless!


Ostensibly taking a picture, but really taking a break.


I obviously need to get in better shape, but it probably would have helped if:
a.  I hadn't picked a hike that was on a hill (duh, Broad HILL Road),
b.  I had snowshoes designed for my current weight (I bought these a number of years ago).

In all, I went a little over 1/2 a mile, so I don't get to count it toward my hike goals (which must be a minimum of 1 mile). 


1 comment: