Monday, October 5, 2015

UK Trip: Downhill Demesne, Mussenden Temple, and Foyle Hovercraft, Northern Ireland (July 24, 2015)

On our last day by ourselves, we visited a stunning location along the coast.  Downhill Demesne was a large mansion built in the 18th century and later used to billet troops during WWII.  It seemed sad that the place had been in use until fairly recently and was now just a ruin.

Downhill House.
After we walked through what was left of Downhill House we continued walking out to the cliff edge to Mussenden Temple.

At one time a horse and carriage could circle around the Temple.


After leaving Downhill Demesne and Mussenden Temple, we headed inland to Limavady and Foyle Hovercraft.  I thought this activity would appeal to one boy in particular, and I was right.  We all tried out the hovercrafting and then the guys tried out the powerturn buggies while I watched.




After our hovercraft adventure, we made our way to County Tyrone to meet up with family and eat more food than I ever thought was possible!  It was fantastic to meet the people I had been hearing about and corresponding with for the past several years.  We visited family farms and took a trip down to the old homestead in County Armagh.  A dream realized.  Too bad the weather couldn't have held out for one more day!  We spent one full day with family and then left the next morning to get to Dublin for our flight home. 

I truly appreciate the hospitality we were shown.  Everyone was so welcoming.  Meeting these wonderful people, these family members, made this trip a dream come true!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your connections! I have ancestors from County Tyrone, also, but as they left in the late 1700's I don't expect to find such connections myself.

    ReplyDelete